Italian Meatball Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces (2 liquid cups) organic beef stock
- 12 ounces (1.5 liquid cups) water
- 1 pound of Italian turkey/chicken sausage pulled out of the casing to make meatballs. Also could use chicken breast tenders.
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- (or to your taste)
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add all ingredients except oil into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover and heat on low for 5-6 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
Stove Top Directions
- Make the meatballs by taking a large pot and add water, bring to a boil and “plop” the meatballs into water. Each sausage should make 5 to 6 meatballs depending on the size you are wanting. The meatballs are done when they float to the top of the water. Strain and use right away or save for later.
- Add oil to a medium, heavy bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add carrots, onion and celery. Cook over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Push the vegetables aside to one side of the pan. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until tomato paste begins to caramelize.
- Add garlic and seasonings. Mix well. Stir in tomatoes and stock, and bring to a simmer. Cut meatballs in half and add to soup. Simmer an additional 10 to 12 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.
The recipe also calls for 1 1/2 cups of water in addition to the beef broth. I wanted a thicker soup and omitted the water.